Hunting and Fitness Q&A With Jimmy Herman

September 17, 2015 — Leave a comment
Photo Credit: Jimmy Herman

Photo Credit: Jimmy Herman

I recently connected with Jimmy Herman through a mutual friend and asked him if he would be willing to share his thoughts and insights into hunting and fitness. Jimmy and I share a passion for hunting and fitness and we both feel strongly that training and proper preparation are crucial for a successful hunt.

Who is Jimmy Herman? Jimmy is a touring musician with Carrie Underwood. He has appeared on stage with a plethora of other artist including Dierks Bentley, Steven Tyler, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Gretchen Wilson, and many others. Jimmy is also an avid outdoorsman and is involved in hunting and conservation not only in the US, but worldwide.  Not only is he an avid whitetail hunter, Jimmy has also hunted a large number of North American big game such as elk, mule deer, antelope, moose, and black bear.  When Jimmy is not onstage he is in the gym training for rigorous mountain hunts, shooting his bow, and writing articles for hunting, music, and fitness publications across the globe. He is a great guy and I am very thankful for his willingness to share his thoughts with me and all of you.

When did you first get started hunting? When did you first realize that you loved hunting?

I started hunting with my Dad and brother when I was around 6 or 7 years old. My Dad would let me tag along with my Bear compound and wood arrows and he made the experience more about me and making sure I was having fun rather than him getting a shot at a buck.   I’ll never forget the first time he took me up in the tree stand with him. Just the experience of being in the woods and the possibility of seeing a buck is what got me hooked on hunting.

What are the primary reasons for why you hunt?

I just have to do it! Everything inside of me lives for getting to the mountains or in the deer woods. What we as hunters kill and bring home for our families to eat is the leanest and purest form of meat protein on the planet. I like to know where my food comes from and hunting is really the only way to get such high quality meat and be involved in the entire processing of the animals from field to freezer.

What role does fitness play in your hunting preparation?

Fitness is 80 percent of my hunting preparation and the other 20 percent is my shot practice.   I live to stay fit and when I go on a hunt I expect success, so I train and work all year to prepare myself for every challenge. The only way to bring an animal back is to hunt it in it’s own backyard. The odds are outrageously against me and highly in favor of the animals I pursue, so I try to lessen the odds by preparing my body for the hustle I expect to execute in order to get myself a shot opportunity.

How do you train for your upcoming hunts?

It varies really. But I train all year to just be in the best physical condition I can all the time. The only difference in my training is when it gets closer to a hunt, I will up my leg and cardio workout just because I know that I will be hiking, hustling, and carrying a lot of weight in meat back out of the backcountry.

What is the greatest asset you have with regard to hunting?

The greatest asset is the amount of passion I have for hunting. I will stay out in the woods or the backcountry longer than anyone I know because I go out there to be successful. I don’t give up. You can’t kill an animal from the couch and the thought of buying my meat from the grocery store makes me cringe, so I do whatever it takes to increase my odds of getting an animal.   I love to hunt.

What is the best piece of advice you can give to someone who is new to hunting?

It’s an individual sport. You can read article after article and get face to face advice from some of the best hunters in the world, but when you’re out on the mountain or in the stand, 8 out of 10 encounters are not going to be text book. You will learn best by going out and hunting. Getting winded by bulls and bucks. You will quickly learn how to walk slow and make less noise. It’s a first hand sport. Reading and taking in advice is a great foundation to start on, but every hunter is different and every day in the wild is unpredictable.

If you would like to follow Jimmy, check out his website – www.jimmyherman.com.

Also, follow him on social media:

Facebook – Jimmy Herman Music

Instagram – thejimmyherman

Twitter – @jimmyherman

No Comments

Be the first to start the conversation!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s