If you’re looking for a way to mix up your leg workout and maybe give your knees a break the straight (stiff) leg dead lift may be something you want to add to your regimen (Note it is imperative that this lift be executed properly to avoid injury so seek professional assistance if necessary). Even if you have executed this lift in the past be sure to start off with light weight and work your way up.
The SLDL is great for us hunter athletes for several reasons:
- Great for building lower back and leg strength (what hunter doesn’t need that).
- With consistent and proper use it can be very effective at preventing or minimizing lower back injuries (yes please).
- Targets numerous muscles all at the same time which makes for efficient workouts and also burning fat (I don’t have a lot of extra time and who wouldn’t mind losing a little excess weight).
- Improves stability throughout the core (extremely important when lugging heavy packs around).
A few other side benefits are:
- Helps us maintain good posture.
- Great for running and hiking activities.
The good news is that it can be executed with a straight bar, curl bar, dumbbells, or sandbags so you can either do it at the gym or at home.
Incorporating this lift into your program with make your back, hamstrings, and glutes stronger and more prepared to handle the rigors of your hunting season!